Hi Tim,

Surely it is terrible that a government would return someone to a place
where they claim they were tortured  without first ensuring that any such
claims are false.

Of course there will be false claims made to delay deportation, but that is
the price we pay for seeing justice is done.

Just because Kerry Packer challenges the Tax office in court and
subsequently pays no tax, that does not mean the tax laws should be changed,
so that nobody is able to challenge the Tax Office.(this is not a great
comparison, but it is a case where someone misuses the system to achieve an
undelared end---i.e. to pay no tax while pretending to argue for tax
justice.

Anyone who earns enough to have $35m to lose gambling, surely should have
paid some tax under the current laws.

He has misused the system to achieve his own ends, as have the refugees who
claim they were tortured to extend their stay in Australia.

As I say, Howard has not rushed to deny access to the courts for those who
may claim they have been wronged by the tax commissioner---why should we all
pay for the misuse of the system by the likes of Packer---why should all
refugees pay for the the misuse of the system by some?

Laurie

Laurie and Desley Forde
Email.   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Without a treaty, which spells out the obligations and rights of both
parties, there can be no Reconciliation in Australia----Geoff Clark.