Hi Trudy,

You're right, and I take the general point - withholding money can be
another way of influencing outcomes.  It is also true that US hasn't paid
its regular fees for a number of years; however, it does contribute
voluntary funding to particular bodies such as UNESCO and it has provided
large amounts - diverted mainly from Defence budgets and therefore without
Congressional approval - to various UN 'peacekeeping' exercises.  On one
estimate of this amounted to $11 billion on international peacekeeping
efforts between 1992 and 1997.

All in all, whether through funding or witholding of funding, the US exerts
an inordinate influence on UN practices and priorities, casting a fair bit
of doubt on the concept that it is an 'independent' body.

Tim