Friends,

Michael Mansell, well-known aboriginal activist: ""You take away a
people's country, you dominate them on a day-to-day basis, you prevent
them from running their own land, their own communities, and you are
bound to get symptoms of alienation".

There are certain skills that all Australians need to understand to live in
their current society: these are handling money in the everyday sense, basic
numeracy, and being able to read and write. In my previous post I alluded to
the old adage: it is no use giving Aboriginal People wages, they will only
spend it.' This is a typical piece of hegemonic 'common sense' or 'being
practical' that has pervaded white/Aboriginal relations since invasion day.
It is also a convenient excuse for bosses to not have to pay the People. Of
course there were all sorts of  means of covering up this slave or
plantation attitude: they were charged for their 'board and lodging' or
their money was held in 'trust' for them. Even in the seventies at Victoria
River Downs the Store used to get the welfare cheques and each time the
person made a purchase this was allegedly deducted from this amount. There
was absolutely no accountability and the money was actually stolen from
them. But even more of a sin was that the Peoples were given no chance to
learn how to handle something we after ten thousand years still have trouble
with. The same principle also applies to schooling, health and etc.

When I was working in the Northern Territory we were building houses which
were eminently suitable for a white family in Melbourne or Sydney. Despite
the fact that I railed against this situation more were built. Later, with
the aid of a chainsaw, some saplings, bark, bashed down white ant nests and
loads of fun and Aboriginal People we built some houses that suited their
needs at the time. They were airy, protected the occupants from the rain,
and were spacious. I called them 'whirlies' you could stand up in. Of course
they were not permanent which suited the clan as they moved around a bit. We
just built some new ones as the old ones rotted. Whilst these places were in
the Top End, I am sure that we could have organised something similar in the
desert regions.

During the seventies and eighties an argument raged in the Territory between
the Catholic missions and the Uniting Church missions concerning the
attitude to grog. The Catholic missions adopted the attitude that to declare
their missions dry would deny the People the opportunity to get used to
drinking. On the otherhand the Uniting Church declared their missions dry in
an endeavour to minimise the damage to particularly women and children,
seeing grog as the main cause of domestic violence. Later, their policies
came closer in that the Catholics began to apply restrictions and the
Uniting Church relaxed their 'dry' communities. Neither policy has really
been successful, in fact some stupid bastard from the Uniting Church
introduced Kava to East Arnhem Land to overcome the problems associated with
grog and on Elcho Island they have been sleeping ever since. The elders have
even implored the Government to deny the People 'welfare money' in an
endeavour to rein in the damage.

In my last post I spoke of Aboriginal Peoples needing sovereignty, the
ability to make decisions for themselves. This was what ATSIC was supposed
to do but it has been so plagued with audits, 'advice', and so on that the
whole organization has become straight jacketed. It cannot move anywhere
with effect. Initially it was supposed to have a small white bureaucracy
which acted as advisors when requested. At the time of its implementation in
about 1990 I was in Derby (W.A.) and there were dire warnings from
Aboriginal Affairs, Aboriginal Development Corporation and the State bodies.
These bureaucrats were all jockeying for a position and working out ways to
undermine the organization even then in their own interests. They were even
fighting among themselves. With the advent of the Howard Government their
dreams came true. They too were looking for means to degrade the
organization and they have done a pretty good job.

As you can see each of these controls - and there are so many of them - the
People have been hog tied at every turn. Their entire association with
whites has been of similar vein. Just read the story of Namatjira, the way
Tadawalli was controlled during the filming of Jeda. They even sent a
bureaucrat with him to Sydney from N.T. to watch him to see that he did not
misbehave. (Harry Giese has a lot to answer for.)

To me what Pearson is saying is that Welfare should consist of the financial
means and the freedom for the People to be able to make their own mistakes.
ATSIC should be able to call on advisors if need be, even have them peruse
budgets and make suggestions just like say the Northern Land Council, but
the final decisions must be by the People. The same would apply to health
and education. During my stay with the People on the Outstations I have
never seen a more happy and healthy group of people anywhere. I know I
enjoyed being with them. In the eighties (?) there was a private school set
up in Alice for, and staffed by, Aboriginal Peoples. The N.T. Education
dept. refused to register it until the attendance statistics became so
embarrassing that they finally conceded registration. Basically it consisted
of the three Rs in the morning and Aboriginal lore in the afternoon. I'm
sorry I cannot remember its name and don't even know if it is still running
but earlier it was  a very fine example of what can be done. There are
innumerable examples of other initiatives, mainly by women, for petrol
sniffers in Yuendumu; women's story groups in South Australia; painting
workshops at Balgo Hills and Utopia.

In line with Pearson's suggestions the concept of Welfare needs to change.
And there are three things that need to be done before any of this could
work: firstly, a reconciliation statement needs to be agreed upon and
accepted by all parties; second, an official apology needs to be extended in
good faith to the Aboriginal Peoples for past wrongs and finally, we need a
Government who is prepared to adequately fund these projects, and adopt the
courageous policy of allowing the Aboriginal Peoples to make their own
mistakes.

Because of space requirements there are many other aspects of this situation
that could be detailed: Land Rights legislation is one, but I think we
should be taking a charitable look at what Pearson has said and instead of
condemning him like we have been doing for over two hundred years, we should
be trying to get this information out among the general populace. To quote a
phrase from a thoroughly disreputable multi-national: Just do it!

Ian Henderson.

PS. I realise that almost all of my experience has been with the People of
Northern Territory and northern Western Australia, consequently, I am not
fully aware of the People in and around the cities and towns of Australia. I
make no apologies for this perspective as there are obviously many who have
close relations with these People, in fact who even are 'those People'.
Ian Henderson                    Murdoch University
24 Harfleur Place                Perth, W.A.
Hamilton Hill                        Tel: 61-8-9418-3972
Western Australia, 6163      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]