Hello Sean,

(1) Try setting quality settings using Camera object at Flash-client side (see Adobe docs for Camera class).
There are different options - you can fixate maximum bandwidth, set FPS, picture size, etc.
For example, how we do it in our application:

camera.setQuality(37500, 0);
camera.setMode(352, 288, 7, false);

(2) I wrote my assumptions about this problem one day:
"One more thing that we can see with RTMP: if you compare "audio only" broadcasts with "audio+video" ones, you will see that in the case of "audio+video", the delay after saying something and hearing it at the consumer's side is bigger than in the case of "audio only". I think this is because RTMP protocol always transmits a "mixed" stream of video, audio and other packets. Quantity of video packets is much bigger than quantity of audio packets, so when sending via network, consumer should wait more time before "grabbing" these audio packets from network. That is video and audio is synchronized in RTMP. "

I think the reason of audio lag is in RTMP protocol itself. You should reduce video bitrate or use separate RTMP connections for audio and video, but in this case you will need to synchronize video and audio.

Does somebody have another ideas?

Victor

Sean Newman wrote:
Hi all,

   We did a live streaming of an event using Red5 0.6.2. However there were a couple of hiccups namely:

1) The picture was pretty pixelated. Is there a way to optimise the picture quality  with live streaming?

2)  The sound lagged somewhat behind the audio. How can I fix this?

Also, how does Red5 stream a live stream into a flv file? Does it encode the video on the server?

Thanks for a great product. Looking forward to optimising our Red5 experience.

Thanks,

Sean