> From: "helene blatte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Arsenal must have come in at half time and thought "How
>> the fuck did we get away with that?"
>
> as the person sitting next to me pointed out - we had a huge Scholes-shaped
> hole in our team and it really brought it home today. I think if he'd been
> there we would have won. That's easy to say, but I truly believe it. Hope
> he's back soon.
>
> Bruce

I couldn't agree more about Scholsey. It was so apparent to me as well as
the match unfolded. That one extra dimension that would have unlocked
Arsenals predictable but effective defence.

Now, what about Ronaldo? Pretty or effective, or pretty effective?
On the ball he's wonderful to watch and excites the crowd, but unlike our
Georgie in the sixties who poccessed a myriad of virtuoso ball skills,
Christiano's mesmorising reportoire consists of feinting his feet over the
ball as the ball runs on in a straight line. Lovely to see, but if the
defender is doing his job properly he just waits for moment to go for the
ball whose trajectory is predictable - it continues in a straight line. Then
if the defender doesn't like looking a plonker in front of a lot of people
he brings Christiano down.

I'll now answer my own question. First of all, by bringing our man down we
gain a free kick in a dangerous (for the opposition) part of the field. And
Giggsy is almost Beckham in these situations.

If anyone saw Ronaldo's performance for Portugal Under 18's in their win
over Eng-er-land, he was running the show and damm effective in the bargain.
I believe once he has gained a bit more confidence by being able to
communicate with his chums on the field and once he and his team-mates work
out the best way of harnessing his talents for the benefit of the team as a
whole we will be able to translate football eye candy into goals. Like
Forlan before him, once he gets his first goal the floodgates will open and
unlike Forlan (who I love as a player for his attitude but have severe
reservations over his class) he will soar.

As Carole King once sang, "It Might As Well Until September", so being there
or there abouts at the moment without firing on all cylinders is better than
par for the course for us. It's just that Arsenal were there for the taking
but in the end their take-away was a point when we should have had three.

Will it be significant come next May? Don't ask me, I'm not a fucking
fortune teller. What a stupid question.

Oh well. It's off to work we go, hi ho hi ho hi ho hi ho........etc.

Dave Blatt

ReplayTV: CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
Instant Replay & Pause live TV.
Special Sale: 50% off!