Sunderland have accepted a compensation package from Manchester United for
French striker David Bellion.

The deal includes an initial £2m fee payable immediately and could rise to
£3m depending on appearances and international call-ups.

The Black Cats will also benefit from any future transfer of Bellion due to
a sell-on clause in the deal.

"We're happy with the package and feel that it is entirely deserved as we
lost an exciting and talented young player," said Sunderland chairman Bob
Murray.

"It is to the benefit of both clubs that we have been able to reach an
agreement without the need for a tribunal.

"We were very disappointed to lose David as he is a player who should make a
good name for himself in the future, but wish him every success."

Bellion, who moved to the Stadium of Light from Cannes in 2001, rejected an
improved Sunderland contract when his deal ran out in the summer and moved
to Old Trafford in July.

Ferguson faces hearing

Under Premier League and Nationwide League rules a club is entitled to
compensation if the out-of-contract player is under 24 and moves to another
club.

Bellion made just three starts for the Wearsiders, but was used as a
substitute 15 times and netted the winner in the home game against Aston
Villa last season - his only goal for the club.

He has only played a peripheral role for United so far this season, although
he made a goalscoring debut in the pre-season defeat of Celtic in Seattle.

Sunderland turned down bids from United and Liverpool for the highly-rated
forward last season.

Murray accused the Old Trafford club of unsettling the youngster and trying
to get him on the cheap during the January transfer window.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/tsUolB/TM