@Wayne

I would certainly not use target containers (TC) over NavMgr in most,
all or even many cases.  In fact we almost always use NavMgr these
days because it's more intuitive for implementation leading to fewer
implementation issues, and it's more intuitive to the authors who need
to see it every day.  The best reason to use NavMgr though is that it
is the primary means of navigation in v10 SmartEdit.

Having said that, if you already have a functional TC site I would
certainly not give it up to arbitrarily use NavMgr.  For smaller
sites, or where the navigation is not particularly complicated, a TC
model is just as easy to manage and will execute (build/view/publish)
faster than a NavMgr equivalent.  You can't argue that, because NavMgr
adds dozens of levels of additional processing before, during and
after the construction (build-phase) of each page, so whatever price
you pay for TC you pay more for NavMgr.

The key is not to wreck yout advantage by using NavMgr anyway to do
procedural code in the template, cause then you pay for both!

The sum up is this, TC is a perfectly valid implementation model with
2 drawbacks: it's a bit limited in what you can do and it's a bit hard
to explain to authors.  If you don't need something it can't do and
you don't have gumby authors you should have a fine time with TC.
Before NavMgr we had nothing else and the sky didn't fall in.

HTH.

Regards,
Richard Hauer
5 Limes Pty Limited