Has anyone implemented a Mega Menu (e.g.
http://designm.ag/inspiration/mega-menus/)
using RedDot/Open Text WCM.

I have a few ideas but am not sure about the best approach.
Here is what I have though of, Option 3 appears to be the most viable

1. Have a container in every Foundation Template that references a
page with all the Mega Menu items.

   Cons,
   The Mega Menu will be present on every page in the site which will
be ~3000 pages
   The Mega Menu will contain links to all the 2nd and 3rd level pages
(~150 pages)
   If any of the Mega Menu items change (e.g. page title, filename,
add/remove item, reordering) it will trigger a full site publish
   A full site publish currently takes ~ 1-2hrs therefore any slight
change in the Mega Menu could have a massive impact on the CMS

2. Put the Mega menu in a page that sits outside the navigation and
publish as a separate XML/HTML file.
   The XML/HTML file can be included/rendered in the page on the fly
using .NET/Javascript

   Pros
   Changes to the Navigation will not kick off a full site publication
like in option 1

   Cons
   I did a small proof of concept using workflow and related pages
   Changes to the Navigation didn't kick off a publication of the
separate Mega Menu XML/HTML file.

3. Have a container in every Foundation Template that references a
page with all the Mega Menu items.
   Similar to option 1 but the template that contains the MegaMenu
will be configured to "Insert placeholder for page in container" in
the template variant properties.
   This setting will publish the MegaMenu page as a separate file.

   Pros,
   Changes to the Navigation will not kick off a full site publication
like in option 1

   Cons,
   Initial testing showed that the Mega Menu page published correctly
if any changes are made to the navigation.
   However if the page does not, i.e. RedDot thinks the page has not
changed then the Mega Menu could become out of date.
   If the Mega Menu becomes out of date, then menu item links could
become broken.

Additional Considerations

The implementation could be made more robust by the following:

   a) Publish the Mega Menu file on a schedule every 20 minutes to
ensure that the Menu is up to date
   b) build some logic into the MegaMenu to remove any menu items
which link to a page that doesn't exist.

Additional Info

The CMS sits behind a corporate firewall so I would not be able to use
RQL on the fly.