Hi Neil,

There might be some misunderstanding regarding publishing and navigation
manager, and I would like to clarify it here using this thread.

The navigation manager structure is really just a subset of the project
structure that you see in SmartTree.  Whether the page is published or not
is not dependent on its existence within the navigation manager structure.
>From my experience, publishing works in the same way as link crawlers.
With "all following pages" option enabled, the publishing engine crawls to
the next page via links that are visible in the HTML page.  Or simply, no
link, no crawl, no publish of the linked to page.

NOTE: by default, page crawler do not crawl referenced links ( green link
in SmartTree that looks like >> this link).  New to 10.1 SP2, links
generated via navigation manager or rendertag with .GetUrl(Bool:True) do
not get crawled either.  This makes sense and it is a best practice to have
that in any navigation code, else, the pages appear in navigation get
crawled all the time.  If you have 10 pages, each with 9 links in left
navigation, that is 90 crawls.