Mr Roiter, you just have to throw that out there to get me out of hiding.

Regarding &script=1, this little thing stopped working in CMS 9 SP1 and MS
10 SP1, then started working after MS 10 SP2 HF X.  Due to the instability
of the functionality, us at OpenText consulting services stopped using it
all together.

Besides, it is no longer a best practice to manage JavaScript files as page
instances because each time a page loads, it has to load the JavaScript
references, which are also pages in CMS.  Generating pages via page builder
is resource intensive.  For every page view (smartedit, page preview), many
other supporting pages has to be generated.

Best practice since CMS 9, if it is just plain code with no need to
reference any content (images, swf, or anything from assetmanager), store
that in a file folder (folder type in Managment Server), and include it via
media placeholder.

Anyways, back to the thread's question.  I think Joel is referencing the
JavaScripts in an external repository.