Can you see estimate:
1) the number of pages you are adding to navigation total?
2) number of pages in project
3) number of instances of problem content class

As far as DB size you can shrink and truncate the transaction logs to
regain a lot of space. As well as truncating the table that contains
publishing logs, I forget which one but it helps with transport and
import/export to have the smallest db possible if nothing else at least for
speed. Did you do an in-place upgrade? Wondering based on way you described
the import.

There can be performance hits working with super large data sets in Nav
Manager. The Navigation Emulation Jian writes about on his blog is an
attempt to limit impact by removing leaf pages from navigation and not
using Target Containers either.

Best,
Tim