Thanks Rustlogic i gave that a go in my original attempts but unfortunately
no matter what i did that ie7 emulate header would always be injected. With
a bit of research i realised that you can target individual webpages (e..g
just the smartedit.aspx) with the location attribute in the web.config.
>From there you should be able to clear and add whatever headers you want.
Unfortunately it appears that the emulate ie7 code was being injected
further down the execution of the application and reinjecting it :(. I'm
assuming this had to do with the introduction of the "force ie7 mode" in
the project general settings.

With OT indicating that there are bugs when running smartedit mode in ie8
and now with 11.2 out and having officially dropped ie7 and ie8 support i
think i'm fighting an up hill battle anyway - the end goal was to render
ie8 as ie8 and it is to be no more. Sadly the support for IE11 is being
delivered via an ie10 compatibility mode - i hope this will be temporary
otherwise we might see history repeat itself again in a few years.

Another side note is that with ie7 and ie8 now being dropped there is no
officially supported browser that will render a css file generated by a
content class in smartedit without project specific workarounds.

 - Morgan