At 17:38 11/8/99 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>The problem is that for DHCP, the configuration can change *at any
>time*.  Unlike BOOTP, where you get a configuration at one point and
>that's it, with DHCP you need to be able to change at runtime.

Right, I understand DHCP... actually it can't be just ANYTIME,
it has to be on a lease experation/renewal/release. the difference
then is that my scripts are always invoked by an action, either
the user wants to change the configuration, or the pppd drops the
connection. Is there no call back from the DHCP client that would
allow for a reevaluation of the configuration at these points?

  cabbey at home dot net <*> http://members.home.net/cabbey
           I want a binary interface to the brain!
Today's opto-mechanical digital interfaces are just too slow!