On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Ingo Luetkebohle wrote:
> would it be possible for RedHat to distribute Apache with the patches from
> Apache+SSL or mod_ssl already included, and have just the SSL module as a
> drop-in, available from Replay? That way, one would not have to recompile
> Apache in order to get SSL.

Export restrictions would stop them, and it would cut into their sales of
RedHat Secure Web Server (or whatever it's called :-).

However, the EAPI patch (a slight extention of the Apache module API)
isn't too much to ask for, methinks. That makes it possible to build your
own mod_ssl (since mod_ssl relies on it) without specifically adding any
encryption-related material to the distribution.

There is the "binary modules" argument (vendors who ship binary modules
designed to work with stock Apache 1.3.9 won't work with a version of
Apache with the EAPI patches), but it's a red herring; even Allaire is
shipping enough source with their ColdFusion module now to facilitate
relinking it in the event of a slight API modification.

--
Edward S. Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           http://www.xnet.com/~emarshal/