> > > Correct me if I amm wrong but isn't PCI modem another name for the
> > > dreaded and unsupported Winmodems?
> >
> > No.
>
> so are pci modemes supported at all in the linux kernel? or just the pnp pci
> modems are a pain?

I don't know about any specific modems, The ROT in OS/2 circles is, 'If it
works under DOS, it will work under OS/2.' Also, if 'it requires Windows
9x,' it does NOT work under OS/2. (Same rule applies for considering modem
fro NT).

Some months ago, there was a vendor on one of these lists seeking a
programmer to assist with software to create a 'Linmodem.' I don't recall
the endor, but last time I mentioned this, someone chimed in with that
piece of info.

Now, it is possible that technology has advanced in such a way that the
ROTs above need revision - it does not account for USB modems for example.

I suggest you locate the website of your modem's manufacturer and pose
your questions there if you can't find it yourself. It's quite possible
that your modem DOES require a special driver, just as many printers do,
and it's possible that a Linux driver for it can be had from the vendor's
website, just as I can download an OS/2 driver for my canon BJC4200 from
Canon's website even though it's not mentioned in the packaging that can
with the printer.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield