I have recently upgraded some machines to RH 6.1 and have noticed an
alarming tendency for dialog boxes to appear saying please type the
root password.

This really is not acceptable. Any old trojan horse program can do this
and get the password. It may be designed to make things easier for
new users, but they need to understand about su/logging in as root.

I have come across it on kppp (amazingly, even if you make it suid root!)
which does not need to run as root (eg as in 6.0) and gnorpm (which means
you get this just by inserting a RH CD in gnome).

I appreciate that su does not have a nice graphical interface, but this
is not a solution. You need to design a meachanism that is much
clearer and more secure and also that happens at the right time (gnorpm
has no right to have root permissions just to browse a CD, only to
install packages).

Until this is done, please go back to command line tools only for
root operations.

Justin