Hello,

> As far as I can see it is only acceptable to be asked for a root password
> if you have explicitly requested root access (eg su or login). Adding a
> graphical way of requesting root access (eg a program called [gxk]root say
> that simply produced a menu of programs that would then be run as root)
> could be acceptable, but producing unrequested root password requests
> is not acceptable, indeed is a major security problem.

I second this opinion. Such behaviour violates the principle
of least necessary privileges and it teaches the users bad habits.

If you want to do it this way, please, at least don't ask
for the _root_ password. There is not a slightest need
for a password unlocking everything, when the userhelper
itself is setuid root. Define another password unlocking
the way to the controlled services and define a way
(configurable by a real root) to control who can do what.

Regards
--
                                        Stano