Frederic Lepied wrote:

> "David D.W. Downey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Most likely not. Mandrake doesn't thoroughly test everything before
> > releasing it. If it compiles that's all they care about.
> >

> What makes you said that ? Every release of XFree86 that I have done
> has been tested.

Since you ask and seem willing to discuss it, I'll answer.

First off, a disclaimer.
*** The following comments are my own and are not backed by or supported
by Red Hat in any way shape or form. I have the right to make comments
regarding Linux in general and specific parts without those comments
being construed as part of my current or past employment with a company.
I'm claiming that right as of now. Red Hat has nothing to do with these
comments and they are totally my own.
***

Now that that's done...

First, my comments extend from other issues and are not specific to the
XFree86 releases, but to most packages overall. I have noticed a trend
with Mandrake, or so it appears and if I am wrong being shown how I am
wrong will definitely go a long way to changing my opinion(s). I also
have noo problem with admitting I'm wrong when shown.

The trend I point to seems to be a mirror copying of the Red Hat package
tree with the addition of copyrights, a recompilation for the Pentium
machine, and very few changes to the code. I don't normally see a
problem with this but when the releaser puts out changes to the packages
that include security fixes or bug fixes, Mandrake does not seem to add
those in. Case in point with the lpr. When Red Hat Linux 6.1 was
released and the codebase adapted to mandrake a security fix and module
fix were released to fix the problem, mandrake did not incorporate the
fixes. This has happened on numerous ocassions which led me to believe
that Mandrake was just copying the existing code base, not going through
it, and was just recompiling for the Pentium and releasing as Mandrake
Linux after including a few extra apps that they had written. If I am
wrong then the rest of my arguments become mute and I will gladly
retract my statements in public, provided I'm shown how I am wrong.

Abit tried doing the same thing with one difference. THEY stripped out
the copyrights completely and placed in their own. They also put in
their ATA66 driver without releasing the code for it.
>From what I understand this has since been fixed.

> > I know for a fact that Red Hat tests their RPMs before releasing them.
> > If they come in for contrib, then you are usually on your own as to
> > whether they work or not.
> >

> That's not the case for Linux-Mandrake ;-) The packages in contrib are
> checked but not at the same level as in the main distrib...

Then I stand corrected.

--

David D.W. Downey          -     Red Hat Technical Engineer
Assistant Site Manager     -     http://www.linuxnewbie.com