Well, I suppose this diversity is what  is often called "freedom of choice".
These utilities do _basically_ the same, but there are major differences,
each targeting at another audience. I'm not always happy with the programs
RHAT chooses - I use xinetd instead of inetd, syslog-ng instead of syslogd,
proftpd instead of wu-ftpd etc. The same is true not only for network
programs and daemons but also for many other programs (WMs, editors etc.).

RHAT has choosen a particular set of programs - there might be good reasons
for this. Eg. the most powerful programs are often not that simple. There
might also be historical reasons for this selection - eg. when Red Hat
started, these alternatives where not available (or not good enough for
real world usage). Replacing these programs might become a nightmare when
upgrading.

(Howerever, Red Hat will probably replace the BSD printing subsystem in
7.0 - so quite fundamental changes _do_ happen).

As you said - one program might be perfect for you, but other users prefer
another package. That's fine, as this keeps that diversity alive.

On the other hand, if you compare RHAT to SuSE - SuSE now comes with
7 CDs (don't know the exact number). Well, you get nearly every program
on those CDs. But installation might become difficult even for advanced
users (let alone beginners) because you have to figure out what programs
will probably fit your particular needs. Hey, you are just installing,
you probably don't know which package to choose ... too complicated, I think.

Michael