As far as I know, the Red Hat installer currently installs a kernel
from the CD-ROM or other installation medium and doesn't give the user
an easy way to install a custom kernel image from their boot disk or
hard disk.  I think this would be a useful option to have, at least in
the custom installation class.

I'll give one example of an application for this feature, though there
are probably others as well.  There is a kernel patch called Speakup,
which modifies the kernel to speak all output on the text console
(assuming the user has one of the required hardware speech
synthesizers).  This makes Linux usable to blind people who use the
computer through a speech synthesizer.  In the current design of
Speakup, each kernel image can support only one kind of speech
synthesizer, so even if Red Hat applies the Speakup patch to their
kernel source, one kernel image will not work for everyone.  So
allowing the user to install their own kernel image (which they can
get from the Speakup FTP site) will bring the Red Hat installer up to
speed with the Debian and Slackware installers in the area of eas of
installation for Speakup users.

--
Matt Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Web site:  http://www.crosswinds.net/~mattcamp/