Absolutely postivitely what I needed. I dug through dhdpcd, but couldn't figure out
where dhcpcd got the mac address - directly from the hardware, from the ifconfig, etc.
Going from this info, I'll presume that if I've booted and 'ifconfig -a' shows no
eth0, then the eth0 info is stored somewhere else, and dhcpcd read this from disk. So
the question is (a) if I do an ifconfig without an ip address, is this written to disc
and (b) where does dhcpcd get it's mac address from (file or memory)? Thanks!

Gee, I guess you figured out what I wanted to do... :-)

What a mess my home network has become. I'm running a Mac 8500AV with IPNR as my NAT
device, and my Dell laptop booting as either Linux 6.2beta, or Win95. For some reason,
my NAT-aware VPN client on the Win95 boot partition worked for a few days, but now it
stopped working. The fact that it worked once and doesn't now is bugging the crap out
of me. I even went as far as booting under Linux, then starting a VMware win95
session, and trying that (no go). My next step is to connect the laptop directly to
the cable modem (is it the client or the NAT?), but that would mean calling MediaOne
and having them reassign the Mac address on the cable modem, and I'll want to do it
back and forth (and I don't know how long one change will take). For some reason, if I
turn off NAT-compatibility I can authenticate but not work, but if I turn on
NAT-compatibility I can't even authenticate.

So, if anyone has any idea why Compatible Systems IntraPort 3.8.4 running under Win95,
using NAT-compatilbity, going through a Mac 8500AV with MacOS 8.1 and IP Net Router,
won't authenticate - please let me know! :)

And you can imagine that I don't want to work with IntraPort for Linux  until I get
this figured out... :)

Later.

Steve B.