Gene,

I'd love to help you to buy this server, it's a great system. :)
The reason I asked to have the put the validator restriction on the "media
bay" drives is because it's really hard to get the SCSI driver load order
correct in our factory, and putting drives in the media bay further confuses
the issue.  It's on my to-do list to fix properly, I just haven't had the
time to do it.  Consider the problem of "doing the right thing" when you
have disks on multiple controllers, and some customers want disks attached
to the onboard RAID, some want them on the onboard SCSI, some want them on
add-in controllers, some want a mix, etc.  It's hard to automate that
properly, but easy to do by hand!

To get to 500GB, I think you need 2 PowerVault 200S or 201 with 8 36GB disks
each, RAID5.
You can certainly purchase a PowerEdge 4400 with Linux, and add a PowerVault
external disk pod.  With the PowerEdge 4400, you can attach the PowerVault
to the second channel of the onboard RAID controller.  Or, you can add in a
different RAID card (PERC2 - quad-channel card, or the PERC2/DC -
dual-channel card) and attach the PowerVault(s) to those cards.  The
configuration should have the O/S installed on the (up to 6 1.6" or 8 1")
internal drives attached to the first channel of the onboard RAID
controller.  Then, install the PowerVaults, and configure those disks as you
like them.

Either I or Chris Marsh ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) will be happy to help you.
Let's take further discussions off-list.

Thanks,
Matt Domsch
Dell Enterprise Systems Group
Linux Development Team