Hi, I've been working on a program that is supposed to generate
a SIGIO signal whenever there is a read or write on a certain
file descriptor. Yet it seems no matter what I do (short of a
"kill( SIGIO, getpid() )") I cannot get a SIGIO generated under
Redhat 6.2!

I've read the man for fcntl a dozen times...have used F_SETOWN
and F_SETFL to setup the expected SIGIO, have enabled a handler
for SIGIO via sigaction, etc. Running "strace -f -e trace=signal"
I get a listing of all the program signals, but never see a
SIGIO when stuff is written to/read from the file descriptor.

Any ideas? I'm suspecting a bug somewhere, as this stuff should
generate a SIGIO signal if the man page for fcntl is accurate.
It also mentions using F_SETSIG to change the generated signal,
but I don't find that to be a valid option on my system. Anybody
know how to fix this stuff? Reliable signals are certainly very
important, and I'd like to know Linux has them when we switch
over from other OSes...

Thanks,
Matthew M. Marlow
Programmer Analyst