Having installed RH 6.2 on a Compaq 360 with CPU (on an SMP capable
motherboard), I found that the system locks up hard, consistently, when it
tries to bring up either of the two onboard EEPro 100 NICs.

Further investigation revealed the installer had installed both an SMP and
UP kernel and enabled the SMP kernel by default.  Switching back to a UP
kernel avoided the problem, with ethernet going just fine.

While there's the possibility this is a kernel bug which I'll post to
linux-kernel, I feel it might be useful to allow the option of defaulting to
a UP kernel on SMP capable motherboards for generic installs - I've had a
similar problem with Dell SMP capable motherboards beingdetected and Oracle
reacting badly to SMP enabled on a uniprocessor box.

--
Rodger Donaldson                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Carnal knowledge is a fine social lubricant