On 13 Jul 2000, Trond Eivind[iso-8859-1]  Glomsrød wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rodger Donaldson ) writes:
>
> > While there's the possibility this is a kernel bug which I'll post to
> > linux-kernel, I feel it might be useful to allow the option of defaulting to
> > a UP kernel on SMP capable motherboards for generic installs - I've had a
> > similar problem with Dell SMP capable motherboards beingdetected and Oracle
> > reacting badly to SMP enabled on a uniprocessor box.

> As you saw, we install both kernels - that should be sufficient,
> combined with the LILO configuration.

... This issue also occurs, since 6.1, with the Tyan Tomcat single
processor variant of their motherboard (Tyan model S1563S) -- same
PCB traces as their Dual processor D1563D, but additional
chips, processessor socket, and jumpering.  The present lilo
configuration places the SMP kernel as the default, rather than the
single processor variant.  I recall some comment from Alan Cox that
the Tyan dual processor control ASIC was non-conformant with Intel's
spec on such matters.

On the host on which this email is composed, there is a D1563D,
which installed fine.  Three feet to the left, a S1563S is left in
an unbootable (without floppy) state when doing a new install.

I'll file a bug against the installer, seeking to set the single
processessor kernel as the default when multiple kernels are
installed.

-- Russ