On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, J Kinsley wrote:

>Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:07:21 -0400 (EDT)
>From: J Kinsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Ulrich Kiermayr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Upgrade distribution while system is running
>
>I upgraded from RedHat 4.? to 5.0 on a live system and only rebooted
>once after compiling a new kernel.  However, I did not use any
>'automagic' means to do this.  I upgraded each individual package
>manually using Midnight Commander (MC).  It took most of an evening
>to install the packages and retweak all the configs, but considering
>the box was 15 miles away from where I was and it was only offline
>for the amount of time needed to reboot and force fsck on all
>partitions, if I ever do just an OS upgrade without also doing
>hardware upgrades, I'll probably try it again.
>
>Also for the record, that was one of the key factors that has
>resulted in my using Redhat ever since.

That is a very good point indeed - upgrading a remote box.  You
are less likely to get bitten if the system is rebooted after the
update than if it is left running.  One must be particularly
careful though if it is a remote system.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.