On Thu, 03 Aug 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Nitebirdz wrote:
>
> I think Red Hat Linux definitely needs some tools to upgrade a live
> system.  The main reason for this is that you can do it remotely.  I can't
> see anything more annoying than having to walk through every Linux
> workstation / server here and perform the upgrade w/ CD-ROM / bootdisk,
> when I just as well could do it via SSH.

You can do this with kickstart.  On all your machines install the initrd
and vmlinux from the net boot disk, add a lilo entry for reinstall that
uses them and include an
append="ks=nfs:nfs.server.domainname:/path/to/kickstartsconfigs" line
for that entry.  Then you can just reboot with that lilo entry.  You can
then ssh in, use 'lilo -R' to tell it to use your reinstall lilo entry,
then reboot and the machine will automatically reboot and reinstall
assuming you have the kickstarts setup properly.  I've seen this sorta
thing put into production and it works quite nicely.

Jag