On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Ingo Luetkebohle wrote:
> But thats exactly the other way 'round! *You* have to know that OpenSSH is
> the new ssh software and then rpm will do the right thing. However, what I
> would to like to see in rpm is something like "here are your pakets, update
> as much as you can" and then rpm will figure out itself that OpenSSH is the
> replacement.

Yes.. For a single package.  But if you do 'rpm -F *.rpm' in RedHat/RPMS/,
split up, new _required_ packages etc. should be upgraded just fine.

There would still be problems with packages like kernel (lilo.conf
modifications, initrd), and packages that are faulty (missing
Obsoletes: or Requires:), but this should work pretty well in general.

The problem of course is getting all those RPM's or using some system like
rpmdb-redhat to check which packages have to be upgraded and _then_
download them.

Also, most autoupdaters (like AutoRPM) don't support -F behaviour (it's
rather recent and there is the still problem of getting the header data.

Some post-upgrade hack are still needed (like lilo install,
.rpm{save,orig} management, etc.) after the upgrade.

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          not those you stumble over and fall"