On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, jmrm wrote:

>Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:07:16 -0500
>From: jmrm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: (no subject)
>
>How can I put a password in my ftp server so when somebody
>enter to it from a browser like the netscape or the IE 4.0 it
>ask them the password..

In order to have passworded FTP logins, you must create a user
account on your machine for each person.  You can use "userconf"
for this, or any other tool that allows you to add users.  If you
don't want these people having shell access, you'll have to put
/bin/false as their shell, and make sure it is in /etc/shells.

You might want to disable email for them as well if it is an ftp
only thing you're wanting to set up.

I strongly recommend replacing the wu-ftpd daemon that comes with
Red Hat with the "proftpd" daemon from proftpd.org.  It is much
more secure and has a MUCH simpler apache like configuration
file.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

       Try out Red Hat Linux today:  http://www.redhat.com
           ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/