Well, actually the module part (depmod et al.) is done in rc.sysinit, rc.local
is run at the end (S99local) and the daemons/services are run from the scripts
in rc[runlevel].d.

As of initrd, the description in the kernel tree (Documentation/initrd.txt)
states:

When using initrd, the system boots as follows:

  1) the boot loader loads the kernel and the initial RAM disk
  2) the kernel converts initrd into a "normal" RAM disk and
     frees the memory used by initrd
  3) initrd is mounted read-write as root
  4) /linuxrc is executed (this can be any valid executable, including
     shell scripts; it is run with uid 0 and can do basically everything
     init can do)
  5) when linuxrc terminates, the "real" root file system is mounted
  6) if a directory /initrd exists, the initrd is moved there
     otherwise, initrd is unmounted
  7) the usual boot sequence (e.g. invocation of /sbin/init) is performed
     on the root file system

Michael

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Nitebirdz wrote:

> I'd really appreciate if you guys can help me clarify the initialization
> process in Red Hat Linux, since I'd like to start "studying" the scripts
> to learn something along the way.  Here is the way I see it:
>

> BIOS --> MBR (LILO) --> (initrd) --> kernel --> init --> daemons/services
>                                        |         |
>                                      |         |
>                                  conf.modules    |
>                                      |         |
>                                      |         |
>                                       /lib/modules/*   |
>                                               inittab
>                                           /etc/rc.d/rc
>                                        /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>                                       /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
>                                         /etc/rc.d/rcX.d
>

> Is there anything incorrect here?  Anything that will change with the next
> release of Red Hat (Red Hat 7.0)?  By the way, could someone clarify when
> the initrd is actually run (that's why I typed it between
> parenthesis)?  Thanks.

Michael Redinger
Computer Centre University of Innsbruck