On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, John Summerfield wrote:

>> This sort of thing is inherently a non-portable problem like
>> detecting endianness and other such things.  It is unlikely any
>
>Detecting endianness isn't hard to do portably. I did it about 20 years ago,
>in COBOL, when coding for a Honeywell mini. The owners didn't know whether it
>was beg or little..
>
>Map an area as int and as char[]. Set it =1 and see where the value's stored.

Ok, bad example.  There are many other examples of things though
that are non-portable, and that was my main point...  Besides,
there are more endian's than just big and little.  There is
"VAX_ENDIAN", and I've read of others too that are oddball.  I
have an email or text document somewhere on this but I don't
remember where.  It might have been the comp.lang.c FAQ...

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

#[Mike A. Harris bash tip #3 - how to disable core dumps]
# Put the following at the bottom of your ~/.bash_profile
ulimit -c 0