> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> > On Tue Sep 26 2000 at 18:04, "Balazs Wellisch" wrote:
> > > Can anyone tell me how to correct the following error:
> > >
> > > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.16-3/misc/emu10k1.o
> > >From the make menuconfig or xconfig, disable
> >
> > "Set version information on all symbols for modules".
> >
> > This sets the CONFIG_MODVERSIONS flag in the .config file.  I found this
> > resolved those pesky complaints without affecting my kernel.  (You might
> > get into trouble if you commonly import foreign modules...most people just
> > go "huh?" at that.)
>
> It'll stop the complaining for the most part but might also break your
> kernel in interesting ways :)

Huh?
Here's the official word:

CONFIG_MODVERSIONS:

Usually, modules have to be recompiled whenever you switch to a new
kernel. Saying Y here makes it possible, and safe, to use the
same modules even after compiling a new kernel; this requires the
program modprobe. All the software needed for module support is in
the modutils package (check the file Documentation/Changes for
location and latest version). NOTE: if you say Y here but don't
have the program genksyms (which is also contained in the above
mentioned modutils package), then the building of your kernel will
fail. If you are going to use modules that are generated from
non-kernel sources, you would benefit from this option. Otherwise
it's not that important. So, N ought to be a safe bet.