Hi, everybody,

I have finally installed the 7.0 and I have found it has al ot of bugs. Too many.
Anaconda dies when I try to install files from both the CDs, I have updated the
floppy iso from the update ftp directory, but I have I have not installed it again
to test.
I hope there is no need to reinstall everything, but, please, tell me if the basic
installation compromise the file system.
LPD doesn't find the road for the hostname if I use not the standard localhost.
And, even if I don't change my host name, it doesn't seem to work (printer do not
print).
Pop3 doesn't works. I have installed a pop3 server to work with netscape for
multiple e-mail, it worked on RedHat Linux 6.2, Slackware, Mandrake ...
When called, the pop3 seems to die. Note that pop3 is configured correcly, it is
not a bug of my pop3 daemon, I thing it is a bug in
the tcp daemon, that is called by the pop3 program:

>From the INSTALL file, for the inetd.conf:

 pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  popa3d

RedHat L.7.0 uses xinetd, but the differences in configuration are not so difficult
to understand.

I use the popa3d-0.4 from openwall.

Even if it cannot be attribuited to RedHat, the netscape pkg die when you chose
ADDRESS in the Composer, and then click on a name
and chose TO.

RHL 6.2 had not this problem, Mandrake 7.0 had, but was fixed in the 7.1 release.

While these problems are significants, they may be fixed by providing simple
patches, so nothing very important - a little more beta testing is not so hard to
do.

And I think you are making beta testing with real users with the 7.0 release, so
you can prepare yourself with the 8.0, that will be, probabily, your next release,
with gcc3, kernel 2.4, kde2 and gnome revisited.

I think I'm not so far from the truth...

But it is not a bad thing, as who works with the RedHat Linux probabily have not
upgrade to the 7.0, as it is not secure as it should be.

But the worse problem, is that I cannot compile a kernel. I have used kgcc, I have
edited the Makefile, used gcc, but nothing to do.
Kernel compile errors somewhere, I have not take track of the bug, but I will do
tomorrow, when I will try to re-compile the kernel with the gcc-2.95.2, as it is
recommended.

A notice, may be something that's about my system only, but the new GnoRPM should
have a bug somewhere, cause it dies when I ask
to install a new pkgs. I have upgraded to the new version, but it is worse than the
previous one (it says seg-fault).

Ah, something wrong there is also in the xemacs (it takes too much time to run...)
and in some packages of the Powertools CD.
But these are very minor problems, normal problems even of a great release.

I think, anyway, that you should fix those bugs, above all the gcc/kgcc problem,
the tcp and the lpd problem, and the netscape should not be bad...

Hope to be useful to you all, I have enjoyed with RedHat, and I have used it, debug
it, and I will use it in future, but I need to work, not to amuse myself with
problems.

Thanks to RedHat and to the Open Source, and good work.

Mario Torre