On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 03:00:23PM +0300, Alex Kanavin wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe select outside contributors should have write-access to the tree - or is
> > > that already the case? It would open up development and allow bugs to be fixed
> > > faster, features to be added faster, a la Debian. No?
> >
> > Yeah, leave crucial stuff to RH and let others mantain the rest of the
> > packages seems like a nice idea to me too. Especially if RH can find a way
> > to pay them some money, not full salaries, but, well, something.
>
> I suppose we have two suggestions then, because I'm not suggesting paying anyone
> anything. But it may be possible to get more benefit from the community than Red
> Hat is currently getting.
>
> Zack

My opinion about the latter: paying complicates things considerably.  If
you prefer that way, perhaps you should send your application to RH. ;-)
Community is more about team effort, and fiddling with stuff that
interest you anyway.

---

Well.. I'd be _really_ glad about just the read access.  Rawhide snapshots
(really, new RPMs) aren't generated often enough (IMO), and I'd really
like to help in testing those security fixes too (usually QA takes a week
or so) before the final version is released.

I've always wondered about those supermen, sometimes referred to as RH
engineers.  Having about a dozen/half a dozen people manage about 500
packages is no picnic.

Surely there would be something to be gained from the community.  As it
is, this is limited to creating good Bugzilla reports, commenting them,
attaching patches etc.  This is considerable help, I nonetheless, but it
_could_ be more.

However, there's always a problem with a _commercial_ organization getting
direct help/commit from outsiders.  They're the ones responsible if
something hits the fan.  There are some other issues with this too.

I'd like to know if there is _any_ company that'd let "outsiders" make
direct commits..  Not that this has to be the way it is though.  One of
the greatest potentials of GPL + Linux etc. is the effort of the
community.  It should not be wasted -- but is there any real way how it
could be used without problems?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      not those you stumble over and fall"