First off I'll say this. I do not plan on using mysql for transactions.
So after reading the following, am I just wasting my time here? Can I just
remove the berkeley db requirement from the mysql src.rpms?

I do like things to be done as they are originally intended (I don't like removing
the berkeley db requirement of mysql).

Also I really don't mind making my own rpms for adding packages to my servers,
but I really hate fooling around with major components (glibc gcc gmake etc..), it
makes for too many things to keep track of.

ie. I compile a newer version of glibc and install it (after installing 10
dependencies),
then say a security notice comes out (that I'd find out about after paying the $10G for
membership to the new closed security release list for glibc (total joke here (in case
you couldn't tell))), for the version of glibc I had upgraded to. Well,
this would leave me on my own (of course), to create an updated rpm again, then
say for kickers that this new updated version requires a new version of something
else etc etc etc.... I'm sure the possible nitemare is clear at this point, and frankly
I'd rather leave these types of nitemares to the RedHat guys. ;-)

Here we go......

I took the latest rh7 mysql src.rpm and rebuilt it on rh6.2, but i removed the
berkeley db support as it wasn't aparent to me why it was there. I talked
with a co-worker and he said he recalled reading something about the
new mysql transaction support requireng it, so after looking into this myself
I found out he was right. I decided to install db1 db2 and db3, then
rebuild mysql. Now, building the db1 db2 and db3 rpms works just fine, only they
won't install as per the glibc < 2.1.90 requirement. So I was wondering why
this requirement is here. I did search sleepycat for the answer (nothing), hmm I just
tried the same search on google and I've found something about db2 used
to be part of glibc. Is this maybe part of the reason?

Ok, I may have bitten off more than I wanted to chew at the moment here. :-)

I downloaded the latest version of the rh7 glibc (errata release), and tried to build
it on rh6.2. It didn't take long until I ran into version requirement errors:

checking version of gcc... egcs-2.91.66, bad
checking for gnumake... no
checking for gmake... gmake
checking version of gmake... 3.78.1, bad
<snip>
configure: error:
*** Some critical program is missing or too old.
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.

Now from the glibc 2.2 INSTALL file:

   You will need recent versions of several GNU tools: definitely GCC
and GNU Make, and possibly others.  *Note Tools for Compilation::,
below.

At this point I'm not sure if I want to keep going to create a rh6.2 compatible
mysql rpm....unless loosing the berkeley db support won't hurt anything other
than transaction support.

Yikes!

--
Dan Cyr - Stratabase Network/Systems Administrator
101-34595 3rd Avenue Abbotsford BC, V2S 8B7

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
  - Albert Einstein