> When installing a newer version of glibc the installation failed due
> to space problems. After that I accidentily rebooted, and of course no
> succesful boot up after that :(
>
> Trying to restore the situation was very troublesome, since my CD
> with possibility to boot with 'linux rescue' was with rpm v3, and my
> current installation is running rawhide with rpm v4.

To reinstall glibc:
1. Boot your Red Hat CD with 'linux rescue';
2. Mount all needed partitions (/, /etc, /lib, /usr, /var - most of time
just /);
3. chroot to root:
    # chroot <root-mount-point>
4. reinstall glibc:
    # rpm -Uvh --force <path-to>/glibc-<whatever>.rpm

I never tested but should work since rpm is statically linked ;)

Hope this helps.

Hamilton de Freitas Coutinho
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ 8173443