Hi,

Note: this error I got is happens actually on a Mandrake 8.1 system, but
the same error I got on a RH 7.2 system. And since I'm looking
desperatelly for a soution, I hope that posting message here could help.
Thank you.

When I'm running a program that compiled perfectly, I got the following
error: undefined symbol: mknod

My machine is:

radu@D5E03753 cpic_src]$ uname -a
Linux D5E03753 2.4.8-26mdk #1 Sun Sep 23 17:06:39 CEST 2001 i686 unknown
[radu@D5E03753 cpic_src]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Mandrake Linux release 8.1 (Vitamin) for i586

radu@D5E03753 radu]$ rpm -qa | egrep "(glibc|compat|binutils|gcc)"
gcc-2.96-0.62mdk
compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2
gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.1-1mdk
glibc-devel-2.2.4-6mdk
binutils-2.11.92.0.7-2mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.62mdk
compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.16
glibc-2.2.4-6mdk
gcc-cpp-2.96-0.62mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
gcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk
libbinutils2-2.11.92.0.7-2mdk

In GNU site I found this

 2.7. Looking through the shared libc file I haven't found the
 functions `stat', `lstat', `fstat', and `mknod' and while linking on
 my Linux system I get error messages. How is this supposed to work?
 Believe it or not, stat and lstat (and fstat, and mknod) are supposed
 to be undefined references in libc.so.6! Your problem is probably a
 missing or incorrect /usr/lib/libc.so file; note that this is a small
 text file now, not a symlink to libc.so.6. It should look something
 like this: GROUP ( libc.so.6 libc_nonshared.a )

[radu@D5E03894 radu]$ find /usr/lib -type f -print | egrep
"(libc\.so|libc\.a|libc_nonshared\.a)"
/usr/lib/libc.a
/usr/lib/libc.so
/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a

[radu@D5E03894 radu]$ cat /usr/lib/libc.so
/* GNU ld script
   Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
   the static library, so try that secondarily.  */
GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.6 /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a )

Searching with google I did not find any usefull result. Program was
compiled as:

gcc -o cpi01 cpi01s.c -lc

(but I got the same error also without compiling with -lc option)

Can somebody point me what is/I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,
  Radu

--
Radu Filip