Howdy,

Thinking of ipchains to iptables etc. transition, has
Red Hat yet considered adding Firewall Builder to
distribution instead of continuing developing
firewall-config ?

The firewall-config AFAIK does not support iptables yet,
so those of us needing stateful inspection are out of luck
with it. Thus I would advise you to check Firewall Builder
first before putting more effort on firewall-config.

http://www.fwbuilder.org/

It's very nice and well implemented suite, with
well thought separate XML represented backend,
object oriented (GTK)GUI and rules compiler.

Because of this well though idea behind and basis
it's possible to get multiple platform support
done easily too, not just ipchains to iptables
transition but for completely different platforms.

http://www.fwbuilder.org/pages/Documents/FAQ/FAQ.html

All this will help a lot in upgrades, centralized
management of rules, upcoming migrations etc.

I'm very supprised that even though I was looking
just this kind of tool some time ago I did not
come across with fwbuilder, it would have saved
me lot of effort just if I had known about it.

HTH,

:-) riku

--
    [ This .signature intentionally left blank ]