I guess since know one has responded to this question concerning a
clean way for an RPM to alter the MANPATH (i.e. alter it non-destructively
and using a safe mechanism to do so) says that there is not such a
clean method (please someone correct me if I am wrong).  If this is the case
then perhaps a later RedHat release could consider this.  I can think of a
few ways of acomplishing this, but probably the simplest would be to
do something like HP does, which I mentioned in the P.S. of my previous
email:

        P.S. on HP/UX the system MANPATH was constructed from the file
        /etc/MANPATH which contained a : delimited list of directories,
        which made it very easy for depots (HP rpms) to alter the MANPATH,
        and was very necessary in an architecture where most every package
        gets its own directory under /opt.

The key problem I see with this method is that I don't believe gnu man supports
this (again I would like to be wrong), but what I think could easily be done is
add a command that at startup would alter the man.config to contain the
the MANPATH found in this file.  On the other hand, another approach that
may be better would be to provide command on a redhat system that would allow
one to add a MANPATH statement to the man.config.  This thing command would
be fully aware of the man.config syntax, so that it could:

        - add the MANPATH in clean way.
        - make sure that it had not already been added.

I guess you would have in the %pre r %post section of your spec file something
like:

        add2manpath directory_to_add

Food for thought...james