Dear All

Currently our ISP's Solaris server is hosting all the 4000+ email accounts
for our staff and clients. Recently the management wants to move all the
email accounts in-house for better control and confidentiality, but doesn't
want to pay a Sun Enterprise Server, so they are thinking of running NT and
Exchange Server 5.5. But I manage to persuade the management to use Red Hat
Linux 5.5 instead.

-  Now am I too ambitious?
-  Can a Red Hat Linux box handle the load of a heavy mail server serving
4000+ clients?
-  Can a stock Red Hat 5.0 sendmail 8.8.7 handle so many users, for
example, more than 2000 concurrent SMTP connections? Or should I recompile
the sendmail?
-  Should I patch kernel 2.0.33 with file-descriptor patch and recompile a
new kernel?
-  Can a Pentium II 233Mhz, Intel 440LX chipset, 256MB RAM, Asustek SC875
UW SCSI controller, two IBM Ultrastar 9GB UW SCSI hard disks do the job?

Can someone please give me some advices?

Thanks for your kind advice in advance.

Peter