On Fri, 15 May 1998, Peter Chen wrote:

> Dear All
>
> Currently our ISP's Solaris server is hosting all the 4000+ email accounts
> for our staff and clients. Recently the management wants to move all the
> email accounts in-house for better control and confidentiality, but doesn't
> want to pay a Sun Enterprise Server, so they are thinking of running NT and
> Exchange Server 5.5. But I manage to persuade the management to use Red Hat
> Linux 5.5 instead.
>
> -  Now am I too ambitious?

No. And your company should thank their lucky stars you persuaded them
against NT :)

Use qmail though -- it is an order of magnitude faster, and _much_ more
memory efficient too. I found it easy to set up. And the support mailing
list is very enthusiastic and helpful.

You will probably need to build up a new kernel, with a higher process
limit. Bump up NR_TASKS in linux/include/tasks.h, from 512 to maybe 3000
or so. The maximum is around 4000.

> -  Should I patch kernel 2.0.33 with file-descriptor patch and recompile a
> new kernel?

The fd patch should not be required. It ups the max. number per process
not the max. global. After boot simply put, say, 4096, in
/proc/sys/kernel/file-max. qmail, at least, is efficient with fd's per
process.

Also, the "fd patch" isn't too stable, AFAIK.

> -  Can a Pentium II 233Mhz, Intel 440LX chipset, 256MB RAM, Asustek SC875
> UW SCSI controller, two IBM Ultrastar 9GB UW SCSI hard disks do the job?

Sounds ok. Nice disks! However I would _strongly_ suggest to use the
BusLogic SCSI controller instead.

Make sure you split the mailboxes over both disks, by partitioning if
possible, or striping with software raid if not.

Make sure to use kernel 2.0.33 PLUS the latest 2.0.34pre-patch -- it is
designed for rock-solid reliability under load.

Good luck,
Chris