>I have been trying to use a Linux computer as a POP server, got >R.Hat 4.2
Linux intalled and working. The problem is that it takes >about 35 seconds
for a pop client to read and 1 minute to send mail >from-to the Linux
computer. To start a Telnet session from an NT >client took 30 seconds.

>The Linux computer is on a small network, 20 computers running NT, >WIN95
and WIN3.1 on tcp-ip. Did a comparison with a POP server >running on an NT
server (same hardware as the Linux computer) >and got less than 1 second to
read and 15 seconds to send from the >clients.

Almost al services on Linux do a reverse IP lookup. I you have a nameserver,
then add all computer IP's to it. If you don't have a DNS, then add all
hostname + IP to /etc/hosts.

< snip>

>Alex

Igmar