On 16 May 1998, Peter Mutsaers wrote:

> No, but you'd better use FreeBSD for such a task. While Linux may be
> nicer for a personal workstation, as a serious server FreeBSD offers
> more performance and stability.

This is no longer true.  Hasn't been true for two years.  Both FreeBSD and
Linux are excellent in terms of stability and performance, and either will
outperform Solaris, NT, or most anything else on comparable hardware.
Linux also equals or outperforms FreeBSD in most applications, including
networking overhead and disk speed.  (Though most of this "outperforming"
is due to the default configurations of the kernels and not any
fundamental limitations).

I will not say anything bad about FreeBSD.  It is a good product.  But
Linux is equally good.

> E.g. ftp.cdrom.com, one of the biggest FTP sites on the Internet with
> 1GB RAM and 224GB disk runs FreeBSD. Not much else on Intel could
> handle it:

How long has that site been around?  Years and years, and before about
1995 I wouldn't recommend Linux for such a task either.  Now it would be a
wash.