> When I was working on it yesterday, the system suddenly died. Fist symptom
> was PINE dumping core and saying something about busy.. It wouldn't quit.
>
> Got a message in my console saying something about a block xxxxxx in the
> freelist isn't free.
>
> All programs that the system ran start complayning the they couldn't
> allocate memory ???

It really sounds like there is something wrong with one of your system libraries.

It also sounds like a kernel bug, with messages like "freelist isn't free",
which is somewhat well known.

How much memory do you have in the machine?

For now go back to 2.0.32 until 2.0.34 is released shortly.

Dave

--
Dave Wreski
Windows: An OS less stable than the people who use it