> It was a joke, and will likely change as soon as I think of something else
> that's funny -- almost as often as a Windows user has to reinstall ;)

Granted, even I could see its actual intent. Thing is, I am at such a
low point on the Linux learning curve that such undertakings as
installing Red Hat and XiG CDE are fraught with peril, aggravation,
frustration, and wasted time. If I did not see the benefits of Linux,
then, of course, I'd not be trying to get farther up that curve.

As for obligatory reinstallations; has anyone ever done a
statistically valid, broad-based, OBJECTIVE comparison between NT and
Linux? Or, is it silly to suggest that such a thing could be done
dispassionately and impartially? Again, not trying to start something;
just looking for a little more objectivity. We use OSes in how we make
a living, not for entertainment, and issues like stability, ease of
installation, and reliability genuinely do matter to us.

We spent a fair bit of time looking at NT for industrial applications.
The factor that dissuaded us from adopting it was not of a technical
nature; it was economic. To accomplish our objectives (industrial
machine control software) in Linux will be more work, but it will
carry certain benefits, among them the obvious financial one. If our
development costs were typical rather than unusually low, we would not
have considered Linux and would have elected to use an NT-based
proprietary development environment, some few of which are not
absurdly overpriced. It should be noted, for the benefit of those
whose blood pressure shot up ten points after reading that sentence,
that the industrial invocations of NT _are_ suitable for this kind of
deterministic programming. We aren't talking about shrink-wrapped NT.

In this field, one should be very wary of claims of absolute
superiority; they are invariably chimerical.

In the broader sense, however, it seems that Linux is shaking up some
smug bastards seriously in need of getting their cages rattled. This,
by itself, makes Linux fascinating!
--

        David Fisher
        Chief Engineer