On Fri, 15 May 1998, Arthur W. Taylor wrote:

>I have re-installed Red Hat last week, so i have not installed GIMP yet.
>Will I have problems with newer versions (0.99.29)? Should i recompile it
>or i can install the RPMS?

As one who has tried installing some of the GIMP rpms on Redhat 5.0, I
would recommend rebuilding from source. I had difficulties with many of
the RPMs - stuff like jpeg wouldn't work at all. Also, and it might have
been operator error, there were all sorts of bits and pieces of gimp in
various places on my system, so I had to go through the system and get
rid of all the old stuff, get a recent gtk, compile that, and then get
the recent gimp.