> The following perl trick should do the trick...
>
>         perl -e 'print scalar localtime(895206271), "\n"'

Yup! True Thanks!

> (and s/local/gm/ above also works). But using date will be faster!

I'm too slow I'm fraid. Is gm a binary? I don't have it on my system.

Is date faster INSIDE perl than built-in function?

I guess this is misunderstanding. I need to read a file which contains
895206271 type of data and convert it to human readable form. I don't
care if I use perl or C for this, but at least I know some perl and
quite a lot of pascal but no C. I also need to do other operations with
those data, so I want to stay inside the chosen language, to make whole
program. So the trick above enables me to work this out in perl. As far
as I'm concerned my problem is solved (thanks again), although I would
definitely be interested how to achieve the same thing in C.

--
Milos Prudek
Sonet Online s.r.o.