I have a working gateway that simply masquerades my private net
to the WAN.  My gateway is called gateway and has two NICs, eth0
is the private net, eth1 is a Cicso router on the WAN (which has
Internet access protected by a firewall).  I have compiled into
my kernel IP Forwarding, firewalling, masquerading, etc.--all
according to the IP-Masquerading mini-HOWTO.  It works, too.  My
browser, my telnet sessions, etc. are peroperly
masqueraded--except FTP.

I'm using RHL4.2 with a 2.0.32 kernel on my gateway.  If I make
an FTP connection (ftp://ftp.netscape.com, for example) in
Netscape Navigator on an NT/95 box, everything works fine.  If I
use the FTP program at the command line or a Bash shell from my
private net, it hangs on directory listings.  If I make the same
FTP connection from my gateway, all FTP functions work fine.  Why
can't my gateway properly route directory and file traffic to my
private net when using a command line FTP util or FTP on another
linux box?

Here are the command I execute to set up my masquerading
rules; I don't care about security:

/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -f
/sbin/ipfwadm -I -f
/sbin/ipfwadm -O -f

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p accept
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p m

If you can help me, I would appreciate it.

Kevin