I went to install RedHat 5.0 on my laptop yesterday, with no luck
whatsoever.  It does not have a CD-ROM drive, but I do have an accton
parallel port ethernet adapter that I've compiled a module for.
I loaded the Redhat CD into my server, mounted it, and linked the
/mnt/cdrom directory to the /home directory (which is NFS exported).
Used 'dd' to make the boot and supp disks from images, and then tried to
install.

The disks seemed to work properly, but I couldn't find any way to manually
load a module from my own disk.  Is this possible with RH5?  It should be,
if it isn't.

So, Plan B, I boot into Win95 (which has the Accton driver installed),
and copy the RedHat directory from the CD-ROnM on the server (which is
also running Samba) to the FAT16 partition on my laptop.  Reboot weith the
RedHat disks and try to tell it to install off the hard drive; that's
where the installation hangs.  I'm not on the machine, so I don't have the
error message handy, but it's something to do with 'exec'

So I installed the A disk set from Slackware 3.4, added the tcpip package,
insmod'd my ethernet adaptor, and ran the rest of the setup via NFS.
Just to make sure Linux would actually work on this box.  It did, quite
well in fact.  But I'd rather use RedHat, if I can get past the
installation.  (I do rather like Slackware's setup program; if only it
used RPMs.)

Also, a side note...  I wish RedHat's LILO configuration utility was a tad
more powerful.  I had a customer here today (I work for Best Buy) who
was wondering about the RH5 he bought here.  He wanted a good bootmanager,
not LILO, that would give the non-computer-literate in his family a way to
easily get into Win95.  I recommended OSBS20B8, from
ftp.freebird.org/unixware/freebird/bootmanager

The only problem is that osbs wants LILO installed to the root partition,
not the MBR.  Under Slackware this is a menu-selectable item; under RedHat
I had to explain to the customer (who looked at me rather blanky; this is
his first exposure to Linux) how to edit lilo.conf...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

   Chris. | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://ebhon.jnst.uor.edu/Users/crank
                 All love is unrequited.  - Susan Ivanova