On 25-May-98 Thomas B. Underhill wrote:

Ditto, in part, to the following. I recently acquired a tower with this
board. In my case, Xconfigurator would find the wrong chipset. I managed to
work around that problem and set it manually. But, I can't get the res I
want. I can manage 16bpp but, only with a smaller screen res. I can't even
get a larger virtual screen at 16bpp without being told it can't handle it
memory-wise. I can get a larger virtual (but, not displayed) at 8bpp. This
despite being told I can get 1024x768 at 24bpp in the setup.

I have another board with a CL-5429 chip. I managed to find a lot of info
on it but, basically all it says is it can be done at 1024x768 and up to
24bpp. After running Xconfigurator on it, I get a very unusual (read
dangerous) display setting but, no display at all.

This is using an old NEC-2V, which managed 800x600, 16bpp on a laptop with
a 1-meg CL card. And, quite easily, I might add.

> I have been putting up with 640x480 8bpp resolution in Redhat 5 for a
> couple months now.  No matter what I try to change it to in
> Xconfigurator, I can't get X to open if I set it to anything other than
> 640x480 8bpp.  I have a 4mb Trident TG9660 Vid Card and a 17" Sony
> Trinitron Monitor which is branded under the Sun name.  In Windoze95 it
> automatically configures my system with a 17SF sony monitor and trident
> tg9660 vid card.  In windoze, I can also use resolutions up to 1024x768
> at 32bpp.  The redhat xconfi
> gurator probes my video card and determines the model with no problems
> and then when it probes the card for its memory and chipset it provides
> me of a default setting which is: 1024x768 32bpp...the problem is this
> never works and i end up having to reconfigure my x by not probing the
> vid card and choosing the 640x480 8bpp option.  I know that the monitor
> is capable of 1024x768 as it was used on SPARC5's and 20's at my old job
> and worked fine at high resolution.  It also works fine in windoze.  I've
> read the
> manual for the monitor and tried configuring the settings manually using
> the refresh rates, but the only resolution that works is 640x480.  When I
> try starting X after configuring it at high resolution and high color
> mode, one of the following happens: my screen goes blank and nothing
> happens, or the screen appears but shakes badly where i can't read
> anything, the screen flashes a couple times and then it goes into power
> save mode, or the x server crashes with varying error messages.  I just
> don't know what
> I need to edit in the config file by hand to get it working.

---
Who are the Brain Police?